Annie's Books

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Diary of a Fairy Godmother By Codell, Esme Raj

Title: Diary of a Fairy Godmother

Author: Codell, Esme Raj

Illustration: Drazen Kozjan

Publisher: Hyperion books for Children

Comments I must admit, I picked this book up for unusual reasons. First of all I loved the cover design. I know I know you aren’t supposed to judge a book by its cover, but sometimes you can. I also picked it up, because I had read the author’s “How to get your child to love reading,” so I figured I would give it a try. At first I hated it, but something about it kept me reading. And after about 20 pages, I was sucked in. This book isn’t gonna change the world or win all the awards out there, but it is a good book to pass on to a pre-teen that maybe starting to figure out their place in the world. The names are really funny. Names like Hunky Dory and Lemon Droppings are used everywhere. There are also many fairy tale characters brought in to add a little spice. Cinderella, Red Ridinghood, and the Wolf all are in here. Hunky is a witch at the top of her class, but then finds out that she might like to be a fairy godmother. This idea gets her kicked out of school, and her house. After some time, her friends and family accept her back. I am glad I read it because I know it would be good for certain readers, but I wouldn’t push it on my adult friends, like other books I have read. I love the pencil illustrations are great. They have the look and feel of witches, but have a slightly modern twist. For example, Hunky gets around on a skateboard, not a broomstick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home