Annie's Books

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pride and Prejudice by Austen, Jane

This is the book that started it all. I have been in a reading dry patch. I haven't been able to read much so I turned to audio books. I discovered the joy of hiking, but didn't like giving up my few hours of possible reading time.

I picked Pride and Prejudice mainly because everyone talks about it and I had never read it. I wish it was deeper than that, but there it is.

So I downloaded this book to my handy dandy iPod so I could hike and listen to the book. I never would have finished this book if I read it. Too many times I felt that it was pointless. More than once I was ready to give up on it because the characters were so petty. Once I looked at the book as a historical commentary on society at the time, then it was tolerable. I finished it, but I didn't love it. I am not shocked. I am not a fan of fiction and I am not a fan of romance novels.

Since I have read this book, I talked to many others about it. Most aren't shocked that I wasn't jumping from the rafters in love with it. Others were surprised I finished it. I ended up thinking it was too long, too frilly, and too perfect. But on the upside, I finished it! :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home