Annie's Books

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mary Poppins by Travers, P.L.

After years of putting this off, I finally read the book that lead to one of my favorite movies.

I had a nasty experience with The Wizard of Oz. I loved the movie, then I read the book. For years I was so mad at the movie I couldn't watch it. This is why I haven't read Mary Poppins until now.

Well clearly I didn't have to wait so long. It was ok, but nothing like the movie. In all fairness, I know they took stories from all the books to make the movie. The movies is woven together with care.

The book is a disjointed mess. Bert has a very small almost non-existent role in the book while Miss Corey has a chapter all to her own. However the Miss Corey story freaked me out, but there ya go.

Interestingly enough the only chapter I really enjoyed had characters that didn't even make the movie, the twins John and Barbra.

This would be a good read aloud at bedtime, and if I was introduced to it when I was younger I might have liked it more.

In the end it is a rare time where the book isn't, in my opinion, better than the movie.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home